Thursday 2 April 2009

Football, Friends and Fun... in France!

For some reason or another, I was wicked excited yesterday for the football match that myself and a group of fifteen went to last night, statistically contributing slightly to the over 78 000-person crowd in attendance at the Stade de France. With this said, I've already uploaded the photos from the match (yes, I do still know that I have the second half of my Rome photos to upload). To see the photos, cliquez ici.

The experience was quite overwhelming and I must say that it was one of few games in any sport that got me as involved as I was (with perhaps tennis being the only acception). We all pretty much noted that the game goes by much quicker live than if being watched on television, but nevertheless we enjoyed our time there. Dare I say, I also enjoyed the ride back home. However, funnelling that many people out of a stadium and into one of few means of transport was rather hectic.

Even still, there was something special about being amongst the crowd, as those of us that knew the French national anthem chanted parts or even all of it. If ever you want to learn any gros mots, the French sporting arena is quite an effective place to learn some. It was amazing to see everyone's reactions to the only point that was scored on the field (for the French), as well as to witness the dedication that fans of the opposition had for their beloved country and team (Lithuania).

What struck me even more today, however, was not the sea of red, white and blue that is often associated with America but rather the fact that our group of 16 were a part of the beginning of something even bigger than that single stadium. Cited as the second biggest sporting event following the Olympic Games, I'm referring to the World Cup which next summer in 2010, will take place in South Africa. Before the football match last night, we were given a magazine compiled specifically for the France-Lithuania match, but I was only able to read it this morning on my way to work. Lo, and behold, a story had been written about South Africa and the World Cup and seeing the photo of the Cape Town stadium under construction gave me some goosebumps. (For those in my Safrica class last semester, I'm referring to the one in Green Point just a few minutes away from A Sunflower Stop.) Even though I'm far away from home and perhaps even further away from South Africa, life has not yet stopped associating the two together. Certainly seeing a photo of Kruger National Park brought me back to South Africa, as well as a photo of President Mbeki with the President of the 2010 World Cup. I remember watching the news in English and isiXhosa (and probably Zulu, too) about the different stories surrounding the end to Mbeki's presidency, the splitting of the ANC into two different parties, and the uncertainty of the World Cup being held in South Africa (and if it would be held, if SA would be ready).

This certainly continues to be a school year that I will never forget!

No comments:

Post a Comment